CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Is there more than one creation story?

That sure sounds controversial to me! Maybe not......

I am taking an old testament class and it has turned out to be quite interesting. I have had some questions about certain things or approaches that my teacher has taken at times. So when he mentioned there are two different creation stories in Genesis....ding, ding, ding....red flag! However, after clarification and discussion, I found it to be something I really had not thought about in this way. By two "different" creation stories, he actually means two different perspectives.

The first is in Genesis 1:1 - 2:4. This is what I have mostly thought of as the creation story. Genesis 1:3 "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." Genesis 1:4 "And God saw the light, that it was good". God simply said....it happened....it was good. He didn't have to work at it, have help, discuss it, etc. He just said!

The second creation story begins around Genesiss 2:5. This is the more "personal" creation story that may have been quite obvious to others but really caused me to have a light bulb moment. As Lake once told me, "Aunt Lisa, you are a slow learner".....out of the mouths of babes! It is not as much that I hadn't heard it before, but I "heard" it in a different way. This passage shows God actually coming to Earth, forming "man out of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7)

I immediately got a more intimate picture in my head of God picking up a handful of dirt, molding and forming man, holding Adam in his hands, they were face to face, lip to lip, with God literally breathing into Adam. Adam did not have life until God breathed His breath into him. I'm not sure I have ever really had such a vivid picture come to my mind. This presents such a beautiful picture of Adam becoming a living soul. God didn't create an ape or some other form of an animal. He created Adam as a perfect man, innocent, sinless and in a right relationship with Him.

In the "first" creation story, God said "let there be light", God said "let the earth bring forth grass", God said "let the earth bring forth the living creature". Yes, God took time to create all things in the universe. It was only with Adam (human beings) that he made a personal and intimate connection. This emphasizes the fact that God created us with the purpose of having a personal relationship with him.

Throughout time, there have been (and continue to be) many different versions of the creation story. Even though this is basic Sunday School stuff, we sometimes need to go back to "in the beginning" to be reminded of the true creation story which only God could accomplish.

5 comments:

Eddie said...

Awesome thoughts young lady. You cause us all to re-think what we think about creation and then compare it to what really happened. Now Just think again, one day, we will revisit Eden or at least the perfection of Eden and it will be the way God really intended for that "God created soul" to be and to live. No more sin, no more shame, Just God and His children. How's that for a creation story. It all turns out good in the end. By the way, just in case you've forgotten, you have a Dad. Know what I mean "Vern"

BethAnne said...

When I read that first part, I thought "That crazy professor has brainwashed her!"
Good point. I never thought of it that way - actually I rarely think of that story unless I actually come across it in the Bible.

So, were you commenting on my blog during your class last night? Hope you dont have to go to the principals office.

Oh and you know Lake is only kidding about the slow learner thing, sadly enough, you are the fastest learner in our family and the only one who will play gameboy with him.

donnaj said...

This blogging thing has shown me I have a lot to learn. Thanks for sharing about the intimacy of God and Adam. What is amazing is that we have that same intimacy! Good post my child!

Mommyluann said...

good post!

AnnaElizabeth said...

good stuff!